Date:      Mon, 14 Nov 2016 13:47:15 +0000
From:      tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mounting an ubuntu 14.04 bhyve image as a filesystem for editing

On 11/11/2016 16:09, Gary Palmer wrote:

Hi Gary, thanks for replying

> Do you have a /dev/fuse?

I didn't!! but now I have. (I thought installing ext4fuse would have
taken care of that but apparently not).

> Try:
>
> file -s /dev/md2s1
> file -s /dev/md2s2
> file -s /dev/md2s5

root@host0:/# file -s /dev/md2
/dev/md2: DOS/MBR boot sector

root@host0:/# file -s /dev/md2s1
/dev/md2s1: DOS/MBR boot sector

root@host0:/# file -s /dev/md2s2
/dev/md2s2: DOS/MBR boot sector

root@host0:/# file -s /dev/md2s5
/dev/md2s5: Linux/i386 swap file (new style), version 1 (4K pages), size
2096639 pages, no label, UUID=1d172599-0625-4906-918f-c62deb4ec497

> If I understand correctly, the default Ubuntu partitioning is for
> partition 1 (s1) to be the boot/root partition, partition 2 to be
> an "extended" partition which contains partition 5, the swap partition.
>
> It's also possible you used LVM and that could hide the paritions inside
> other ones.  FreeBSD can parse LVM if you load the geom_linux_lvm
> kernel module.

root@host0:/# ext4fuse /dev/md2 /mnt <-- just in case
Partition doesn't contain EXT4 filesystem

root@host0:/# ext4fuse /dev/md2s1 /mnt <--WORKS!! but read-only

root@host0:/# umount /mnt

root@host0:/# ext4fuse /dev/md2s2 /mnt
Partition doesn't contain EXT4 filesystem

root@host0:/# ext4fuse /dev/md2s5 /mnt
Partition doesn't contain EXT4 filesystem

Is there a way of mounting an ext4 fs for editing (i.e RW) on freebsd?

many thanks,

--
J.