Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 23:06:37 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>
To:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Bragging rights..

dennis wrote:
> Actually, Dennis started this thread by trying to get a price reference for
> the Async solution that Jordan referred to....I did not start it by saying
> that sync is better than async. My point was that if  for about the same
> money you can have a more flexible solution that will use less of your CPU
> it is worth considering. Unlike most of you, my perspective is

All true, and now that we've established that the basic cost of entry
(not counting the line itself) for a TA and a serial card is about $650
(or 2X if you're responsible for both sides), the final question simply
remains as to whether the cost *increment* to get that last 38.9% or so
is worth it.  I'm not saying it is or isn't either way, and 38.9% is
certainly nothing to sneeze at (that's basically one V.34 modem's worth
of pipe you're *losing*), but if sync serial cards cost half again what
the TAs cost, well, that's a steep knee in the price/performance curve
too! :(

That's why I was optimistic about the ISDN card solutions:  They're
cheaper than TAs, they give you your full 128K, and when drivers become
available (and they will, I am confident) they are just as plug-n-play
as a TA to anyone reasonably competent with a screwdriver.  People are
plugging in their own VGA cards, I suppose they can handle an ISDN card!
:)

However, you've already said that you don't like the ISDN cards and
consider them too limited, so we're back to the cost argument again.
Maybe what's needed is a low-end sync serial card that doesn't cost much
more than $150 and does everything up to 512K or so on one port.  Target
it at the end user who only has (and needs) one connection and might go
frac-T1 someday but will most likely be pottering around at 128Kb for
some time.  Let's face it, most of us will never have a T1 at home.  We
will dream about it, but that's going to be the premium business pipe
for some time and I don't expect it to fall within the reach of mere
mortals anytime soon!  If I'm even going 256K by the end of '96 I'll be
pretty happy.  So I would have need for a pair of sync-serial cards that
were cheap and would do everything up to this data rate for at least 2
years, and that's all the service life I expect from *any* computer
related component these days.. :-)  I'm not an ISP, I'm an end-user and
my needs and budget are rather different than the market you probably
deal with ordinarily..
--
						Jordan