Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 2009 15:41:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      James Phillips <anti_spam256@yahoo.ca>
To:        Neal Hogan <nealhogan@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for the common man(or woman) (was: > upgrade 7.2

--- On Thu, 8/6/09, Neal Hogan <nealhogan@gmail.com> wrote:

> > So, this long story boils down to the following
> question:
> >
> > What is that best way to use the handbook and related
> documentation (like man-pages)?
> >

> What?!
>
> Ummm . . . read them. I'm not trying to be too big of a
> dick, but your
> question strikes me as odd. Read them when you come across
> something
> that is troubling you. I suppose there is no need to read
> about, say,
> wifi card drivers that you don't use.
>
> > I am willing to do some reading, but get distracted by
> irrelevant or sometimes too low-level stuff. I want to avoid
> programing as much as possible until I actually have a
> work-station I am comfortable playing around with.
>
> How do you expect to get comfortable w/out "playing
> around," other
> than, I guess (a'la above) reading the documentation?

Put another way: I want a reliable, backed-up file-server before playing around on my "workstation" that would be a separate computer.

I want to build myself a "sand-box" so I don't have to worry about breaking stuff that is unrelated.

Another way of asking the question:

How much of a learning curve is configuring FreeBSD (for Samba, NFS, DVD burning (backups) expected to be? Am I reading too much because of a learning disability, or do I really need to read and understand that much detail?

I have some experience with Dos/Windows, and Linux (mainly Debian based).

Regards,

James Phillips