Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:24:26 -0800
From:      Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh@gmail.com>
To:        Nenhum_de_Nos <matheus@eternamente.info>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb/140883: [axe] [usb8] USB gigabit ethernet hangs after short period of traffic

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 04:20:51PM -0200, Nenhum_de_Nos wrote:

> On Thu, November 18, 2010 13:10, Derrick Brashear wrote:
> > The following reply was made to PR usb/140883; it has been noted by GNATS.
> >
> > From: Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com>
> > To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, sub.mesa@gmail.com
> > Subject: Re: usb/140883: [axe] [usb8] USB gigabit ethernet hangs after
> > short
> >  period of traffic
> > Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 09:36:50 -0500
> >
> >  Pyun has provided an updated driver which avoids several issues
> >  including using a too-large transmit buffer (the chipset claims only
> >  8k) but none of the fixes worked until he disabled frame combining for
> >  transmit. With only a single packet being sent per frame (as was the
> >  case in FreeBSD 7, apparently) seems to make the issue go away. None
> >  of the cases I could use to reproduce the issue now happen.
> >
> >  --
> >  Derrick
>
> is this already in 8-stable ? I have a couple of axe(4) based nic's
> they're not ok on 8-stable. I've talked to Pyun before, and that time
> seemed do solve the issue (with gigabit belkin axe based) but now I can't
> get them to work anymore. even fast ethernet linksys axe are just dying
> when in a bridge (switched to OpenBSD to have it working).
>
> how ca I try this to help ?

I uploaded updated if_axe.c/if_axereg.h to the following URL.
http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/axe/if_axe.c
http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/axe/if_axereg.h

That files seem to fix axe(4) hang which were seen on AX88772A
controller. One of most notable changes are removing combining
multiple TX frames in TX path such that this change may result in
sub-optimal performance for most axe(4) controllers. However it
seems that change makes Derrick's controller work without problems.
Generally I prefer driver stability over performance so if this
change also fixes other axe(4) stability issues reported so far, I
want to check in the change.

Thanks.