Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 22:04:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: .s -> .S filename change in /sys

On Thu, 11 May 2000, John Polstra wrote:

> In article <391A406B.3EBD0C57@softweyr.com>,
> Wes Peters  <wes@softweyr.com> wrote:
> >
> > Use a shell or editor with filename completion?
>
> Please assume that I've already thought of and rejected this entire
> category of hacks.  You perl fans out there needn't bother sending me
> any magic scripts.
>
> I say again: the problem this mass renaming would address is (a) not
> very important and (b) solvable by other means.  Renaming all these
> files would be a departure from the other BSDs and from 25+ years of
> established convention in the kernel.  I wouldn't mind it if there
> were ample justification, but I certainly haven't seen that in this
> discussion.

For anyone who is playing with mismatched versions of FreeBSD (different
target/host) as a LOT of the vendors DO, this is gonna be a PITA.  Exactly
what, David, was this supposed to fix?

> John

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.