Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 1996 09:39:13 -0400
From:      Chris Peltier <CPELTIER@iectech.com>
To:        "'fyeung@fyeung5.netific.com'" <fyeung@fyeung5.netific.com>
Cc:        "'questions@FreeBSD.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Private address Forwarding by BSD

Francais said:

>Chris,
>
>	This explains it. Well, bring up routed -s and see what happens
>	to netstat -r.
>
>	It will forward/route if you turn routed -s on.
>
>	Make sure that you don't propagate your route to the world
>	.
>
>	Francis

>>Francis,
>>
>>	No routing deamons are  running on the FreeBSD routers or any
>>	other routers in our private network. The closest RIP/BGP provider is two
hops away.
>>	Everything is defined as static routes on our nets. To answer your
question: routedflags
>>	 = NO in sysconfig.
> >
>> -- Chris Peltier

Francis,
	That did the trick. I still do not understand why some some routes were
available and
	others were not without running any routing daemons. Valid static routes
existed to
	all networks and of course IP_FORWARDING = 1/GATEWAY=1 in the kernel
	configuration. It would help me to understand why I need to run gated even
though
	I have static routes. I thought the IP layer forwarded based on kernel
routing tables that
	gated or routed can manipulate. By placing static routes in the routing
table I am
	doing the same thing correct ? The only time I should need a routing daemon
is
	when my network is multi-homed and there are two or more paths to the same
place
	(or I want my routes automatically).
	By making the routing explicit through static routes I would be safer
because routers
	outside of my control cannot alter or make suggestions to my routing
tables.

--- Thanks for the help, Chris Peltier