Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 19:46:48 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it soup yet? FreeBSD NFS Server

At 4:13 PM -0600 11/12/98, Eric Haug wrote:
> I have been using FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT Mon Nov  2
> as a NFS server to our network of Sparcs.  Since the
> patch for freeing a null pointer was applied it has
> not crashed.

Our CS dept has a number of freebsd machines which are
NFS servers for some sparc, irix, and freebsd boxes.  I
think the servers are all freebsd 2.2.6 or later (but
not 3.<anything>).  If they're doing version 2 NFS,
then everything is quite fine.  If they're setup to
do version 3 NFS, then access from the sparcs (or irix,
I forget) would regularly cause the freebsd servers to
crash.

I don't know if the version 3 NFS problems have been
addressed in 3.0-current.  Seems to me that someone
(Terry Lambert?) had some patches which were an initial
stab of fixing these problems, but I might be getting
mixed up on that.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute