Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2013 14:17:02 -0600
From:      "Jay West" <jwest@ezwind.net>
To:        <freebsd-xen@freebsd.org>
Subject:   misc. questions

1)            One or two of our freebsd 9.1 HVM (with PVM drivers) under
Xenserver 6.1 advanced are fairly frequently generating this message on the
console: xn_txeof: WARNING: response is -1! Any ideas what this may be and
what should be done? It does seem to only occur on the machines that have
higher network load than the others.

2)            We did a pilot project of about 8 VM's (the above mentioned
environment) and all went well. Now that we've moved it into production with
many more VM's, I'm wondering about recommended tuning. I seem to recall
from watching this list that there are a few sysctl's and the like that are
highly recommended, I think they had to do with network settings and turning
off "offloading" or somesuch. Does anyone have a quick & dirty list of
"here's the first things you should always change" with regards to FreeBSD
HVM (pvm drivers) under XenServer?

3)            When migrating bare-metal non-VM FreeBSD machines (primarily
webservers and mailservers) to the above Xenserver environment, we have
always just created VM's from an ISO, installed apache, sendmail, etc. and
then migrated the websites, mailboxes, etc. manually "across the wire" from
the non-VM machines to the replacement VM's. Xenconvert does not seem to
support FreeBSD/gpart/ufs. Does anyone know of a way (software or procedure)
to take a bare-metal FreeBSD 9.1 install and turn it into a VDI or OVF/OVA
that can be imported to Xenserver?

Thanks in advance for any tips, pointers, or insight!

Jay West

EZwind.net

PO Box 460474

Saint Louis, MO 63146

Voice: (314) 262-4143 ext 1000

Toll Free: (866) 343-2589

Fax: (314) 558-9284

 <mailto:jwest@opensourceassociates.com> jwest@ezwind.net

This e-mail transmission may contain information that is proprietary,
privileged and/or confidential

and is intended exclusively for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. Any
use, copying, retention

or disclosure by any person other than the intended recipient or the
intended recipient's designees

is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or their
designee, please notify the

sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies.