Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 1995 13:08:52 +0000 ()
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Loadable kernel modules/filesystems

Hi,

In my occasional pokings around LINT, I've run into the following

# Only the root, /usr, and /tmp filesystems need be statically
# compiled; everything else will be automatically loaded at mount
# time.  (Exception: the UFS family---FFS, MFS, and LFS---cannot
# currently be demand-loaded.)  Some people still prefer to statically
# compile other filesystems as well.

As far as I can tell, this means that I can compile a kernel with

    options FFS
    options NFS

and then simply load the FDESC, CD9660, KERNFS, MSDOSFS, NULLFS,
UMAPFS and PROCFS filesystems at run time, rather than including them as
options in the kernel configuration file.

Since I like to keep my kernels small, I see this as a good thing.

However, lkm(4) says

     Virtual File System modules
             Virtual file systems may be added via the LKM interface.  At this
             time, only file systems which are already known to the system can
             be added, because of the way the mount(2) system call is imple-
             mented.

which seems to contradict my hypothesis above.

Anyone got the straight dope on this?

--+=[ Nik Clayton             System Administration, Blueberry Design Ltd, ]=+--
--+=[ nik@blueberry.co.uk                1/9 Chelsea Harbour Design Centre ]=+--
--+=[ root@blueberry.co.uk            London, SW10 0XE. Tel: 0171 351 3313 ]=+--
"It's two o'clock in the morning . . . do you know where your stack pointer is?"