Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 13:07:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bootable CD (II)

Hello FreeBSD gurus!

I'm trying to create a CD for copying an image to the IDE disks
in 32 computers [all the same model].

I have some problems to create a bootable CD.

Here is what I have done:

1. I create a floppy disk image and copy my kernel in it.

	dd if=/dev/zero of=boot.flp count=2880
	vnconfig -s labels -c vn0 boot.flp
	disklabel -w -B vn0 fd1440
	newfs /dev/vn0a
	mount /dev/vn0a /mnt
	cp -r kernel.gz /mnt
	umount /mnt
	vnconfig -u vn0

2. I make a basic file system with a lot of tools and programs
   that I think I need for copying my image, let suppose this
   file system is created in ./fs

3. According to "mkisofs" man page, I need two files, one with
   the booting disk image and another that is called "boot.catalog"
   I found this one in my disk 1 of FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE CD under
   the directory "floppies"

	cp boot.flp boot.catalog fs

   then I erase my CD-RW that I'm using before creating
   the final CD-R

	burncd -s 4 -f /dev/acd1c blank

   make the iso image....

	mkisofs -b boot.flp -c boot.catalog -R -T -V WinBkUp -P ESFM -o image.iso fs

   and, finally, burn the CD-RW

	burncd -s 4 -f /dev/acd1c data image.iso fixate

4. Ok, if I try to boot my computer from my CD, it complains telling me
that "fcd0" has no means to do that.  WHY?  I don't want it to boot from
fcd0 but from my file system in my compact disk.  What did I miss? Where
did I go wrong?

  | |