Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 00:34:54 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Carlos Antonio Ruggiero <toto@sdf.lonestar.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: booting from extended slice

On Monday 18 March 2002 10:49 pm, David O'Brien wrote:
| On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 09:44:07PM -0500, Brian T . Schellenberger wrote:
| > What good will it do you if do boot it?  FreeBSD doesn't support UFS in
| > extended partitions anyway.
|
| Yes it does.  Why do you say it doesn't?

Because that's what I've always been told.
Because when I try to install it in a secondary partition refuses to install
there.
Because all my friends who have been using FreeBSD for years say so.
Because the FreeBSD handbook says, in so many words:

FreeBSD must be installed in to a primary partition. FreeBSD can keep all its
data, including any files that you create, on this one partition. However, if
you have multiple disks then you can create a FreeBSD partition on all, or
some, of them. When you install FreeBSD you must have one partition
available. This might be a blank partition that you have prepared, or it
might be an existing partition that contains data that you no longer care
about.

If you are already using all the partitions on all your disks then you will
have to free one of them for FreeBSD to use, using the tools provided by the
other operating systems you use (e.g., fdisk on DOS or Windows).

What makes *you* think otherwise?

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org