Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 01:00:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SSH Working Like rsh

As in the past
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3815870+3818463+/usr/local/www/db/text/1999/freebsd-questions/19990509.freebsd-questions),
I seem to be having some trouble understanding the SSH manpages.

I have two machines, lets call them hostA and hostB. hostA is a server
and hostB is its backup. On a daily basis, I want to run a cron job
on hostB that sucks up various files from hostA and then deposits them
where they belong on hostB.

Now, to me, the simple solution seemed to just use ssh (as I would
have used rsh in past, simpler times), to do something like,

  ssh hostA "tar cf - $FILE_LIST" | tar xf -

Where ssh runs a command on hostA and pipes the stdout over the net
back to the stdin of a command on hostB.

The ssh(1) manpage says,

       The second (and  primary)  authentication  method  is  the
       rhosts  or hosts.equiv method combined with RSA-based host
       authentication.  It means that if the login would be  per-
       mitted   by   .rhosts,   .shosts,   /etc/hosts.equiv,   or
       /usr/local/etc/shosts.equiv, and additionally it can  ver-
       ify  the client's host key (see $HOME/.ssh/known_hosts and
       /usr/local/etc/ssh_known_hosts in the FILES section), only
       then  login  is  permitted.   This  authentication  method
       closes security holes due to IP spoofing, DNS spoofing and
       routing    spoofing.     [Note   to   the   administrator:
       /etc/hosts.equiv, .rhosts, and the rlogin/rsh protocol  in
       general, are inherently insecure and should be disabled if
       security is desired.]

To me, it is saying that ssh should function like the rsh from the
user's point of view. However, on hostA, I have placed hostB in the
/etc/shost file, the user's .rhosts (root user), and made sure that
the pub key for hostB is on hostA in /root/.ssh/known_hosts and
/usr/local/etc/ssh_known_hosts, but I still get a request for a
passphrase.

How do I set up ssh so it can run a ssh like this from a cronjob? Is
the solution to give root a null passphrased private key? However, the
documentation has the scary statement about 'do not use null
passphrases unless you know what you are doing.' I do not know enough
about what I am doing to ignore that warning for a root account.

Thanks for any pointers.