Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 10:20:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/30559: Intense SCSI tape access results in controller errors

The following reply was made to PR kern/30559; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To: Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@best.net>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:16:07 -0600

 >  Under heavy SCSI tape access, our system spits out the following on the cons
 >ole.  Please note this applies to the ahc1 controller.

 This essentially tells us that the controller is waiting for the target to
 REQ the last bits of data on this transfer.  Either the target failed to see
 an ACK from the initiator, or the initiator failed to see a REQ from the target.

 >  Our SCSI bus is terminated properly.  The drives are not LVD.  Cables do
 > not "run too close to the power supply."  Cable length does not exceed
 > specification.  Cable quality is high -- replacing cables made no difference.
 > Decreasing speed from 40MB/sec to 20MB/sec made no difference.  Disabling SMP
 > (via sysc tl MIB) made no difference.
 >
 >  The only thing I haven't tried is removing the drive from the library/changer
 >  system itself, and throwing it right off the main SCSI cable.

 Nonetheless, this is an "environmental" problem.  Perhaps your changer has
 a bad power supply.  Perhaps the changer design does not allow you to run
 with anything other than a very short cable (well below the maximum length
 allowed by the SCSI spec), etc.

 If you bootverbose, does the controller report the termination values
 you expect?

 --
 Justin