Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2000 10:23:14 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Nanda Kumar <nanda@procsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help to write a SCSI block driver

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 16:00:18 +0530, Nanda Kumar wrote:

> The card that i am using is a RAID adapter and the RAID functionality is
> implemented in the firmware running on the adapter. Hence it can be
> treated as a normal SCSI adapter as far as the driver is concerned. So i
> think i can write the device driver as SCSI block device driver. Is
> there any documentation available on how the SCSI block device driver
> interacts with the system ?

So I could put tape drives, CDROM drives, DVD drives, etc. on your
controller and expect to access them normally?  Does the RAID array appear
as a disk on the SCSI bus?

There are several documents describing the general design of the CAM
subsystem.  See the CAM specs here:

> >Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> > Controllers that fall into the first category would probably be best
> > written as HBA drivers under the CAM SCSI layer.  General documentation on
> > CAM is located here:
> >
> > http://www.t10.org/drafts.htm#SWLAY

Also, see Justin's presentation on CAM from USENIX '98:

http://www.freebsd.org/~gibbs/

Some example SCSI drivers to look at are here:

> > If you want to look at plain SCSI card drivers, there are plenty to choose
> > from as well.  Here are a few samples:
> >
> > Adaptec AIC 7xxx chips:         src/sys/dev/aic7xxx
> > Advansys chips:                 src/sys/dev/advansys
> > Symbios/LSI chips:              src/sys/dev/sym
> > Adaptec 154x-type boards:       src/sys/dev/aha

If you've got more questions on the interaction between the CAM transport
layer (XPT) and hardware adapter drivers (SIM layer), just send mail to
this list.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry