Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2007 22:26:05 +0100 (BST)
From:      Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 6.2 on new Mac mini

I'm running FreeBSD 6.2 on a new (i.e. Core 2 Duo) Mac mini.  It was
generally remarkably painless, except for getting up-to-date with Xorg.

I used Boot Camp Assistant to partition the disk, but I didn't install
rEFIt so I have to select "windows' to boot FreeBSD.  I got a "double
fault" when exiting the FreeBSD installer but everything seems ok.
Both cores are recognised and appear to work.  I haven't bothered to
get the wired ethernet working because the wireless works adequately.
I had to use 915resolution to get my 1680x1050 display working
properly with X.

I haven't installed the Macbook patches (http://wiki.freebsd.org/AppleMacbook)
as they seem to be for current, and I'm running 6.2.  Many of them are
irrelevant to the mini anyway (backlight etc).  The one thing I don't seem
to have is sound: kldload snd_driver doesn't seem to find any sound
devices.  Is there a solution to this?

-- Richard