Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 18:42:12 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Status on detect fix for Hauppauge FI1236 MK2 Tuner Cards

     Last weekend, I was helping set my brother up with his new Hauppauge
Win/TV (bought in TX at Fry's) in FreeBSD.  He'd tried before, but just got
trash.  Not being an experienced FreeBSDer (yet), he didn't know what the
problem was and just put it aside.

     I noticed that the latest bt848 driver detected the tuner as a "Temic
PAL" tuner, which surprised me and pointed to the culprit.  I booted into
MSW95 to find that it's actually a:

     Phillips FI1236 MK2

NTSC & PAL combo tuner.  Knowing this, I defeated the detection with:

     # #define PHILIPS_FR1236_NTSC     9
     options OVERRIDE_TUNER=9

in the kernel config file, and get him up-and-running.

     Having worked with the driver a bit, I had a handle on how to work
around this problem, but I imagine new FreeBSD users with these new cards
are more likely to just give up and think their card isn't supported.

     Just thought I'd post though and ask what the status was on fixing the
detection for these tuners.  (Is the obstacle having one of these in the
hands of someone driver-savy?  Lack of eeprom contents?  signature?  i2c?)

Thanks,

Randall