Date:      Wed, 06 Oct 1999 16:16:57 +0000
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        + + <uvatha@my-Deja.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: port forwarding, again

+ + wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>    I posted this question last week in the form of "Can
> I do port forwarding with 2.2.7?"  I'm going to post
> again in the form of, "Can I do it at all?", because
> I'm against a brick wall here.  (No one replied to my post; I'm hoping I didn't phrase the question right.)
>
> All I need to do is forward TCP packets that arrive at
> my firewall (running FreeBSD 2.2.7) on a certain port
> (let's say 4000) to the same port on a machine on my
> local network.  It seems that I should be able to do this by adding a single ipfw rule to my rc.firewall.
> However, the ipfw man page is cryptic and offers no
> examples for my situation.  Nor do any of the archives
> for this list seem to tackle this exact problem.

	I'm not positive that this will address your problem, but they may be
work a look :

bounce-1.0 in the ports collection, from the description there :

	A little program to bounce tcp connections to another machine/port.
	By default it listens on port 1523.

fwtk-2.1 in the ports collection also has tools for creating firewalls,
and I think a method for port fowarding is in there also.  I think there
may be some license restrictions on it's use.

I've never actually used either of these so I can't say if they will do
the trick or not.  I think there are more than a handle full of programs
out there similar to the bounce program listed above.

In the past I've successfully used nat to forward requests to other
machines, usually on the same port, but that shouldn't make a
difference.

--

Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu