Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 2002 21:22:17 +0200
From:      Stefan Schwarzer <sschwarzer@sschwarzer.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange threads/stack size interaction with Python/FreeBSD

Recently, I started a thread on comp.lang.python. The discussion is here:
http://groups.google.de/groups?hl=de&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&th=67e0ddce22b34a21&rnum=1

To summarize:

The system is an Athlon two processor machine with 1 GB of RAM, running FreeBSD 4.6.2
(output from uname -a is: "FreeBSD purpurea.rz.tu-clausthal.de 4.6.2-RELEASE
FreeBSD 4.6.2-RELEASE #8: Sun Aug 25 17:57:20 CEST 2002
svss@purpurea.rz.tu-clausthal.de:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PURPUREA  i386").
I use Python 2.2.1 as built from the ports collection.

When I increase the stack size in the kernel configuration from 256 MB to 512 MB,
and build and install the kernel, thread operations that ran with the smaller stack
size without problems now block.

My settings in the kernel configuration are:

options         MAXDSIZ="(2048*1024*1024)"
options         DFLDSIZ="(256*1024*1024)"
options         MAXSSIZ="(512*1024*1024)"

I did some tests, including with ktrace, and it seems to me that the problem is
rather with FreeBSD than with Python. Or can even someone tell from the Google
discussion thread linked above what may be wrong? (Could my shared memory and
semaphore settings for PostgreSQL also have an effect?)

The mentioned discussion contains are more thourough problem description including
a small test script. I also added parts of the ktrace dumps there.

Thanks for any help!

Stefan