Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 2009 18:07:29 -0500
From:      Adam Vandemore <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Portsnap vs CSup

Charles Howse wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2009, at 2:13 PM, Adam Vandemore wrote:
>
>> freebsd-update is another matter though.  Base system security
>> updates are distributed via that channel(binary updates) so it's a
>> good idea to run that regularly.
>
> I just noticed the description in the man page for freebsd-update:
>
> ..."Note that updates are only available if they are being built for
> the FreeBSD release and architecture being used; in particular, the
> FreeBSD Security Team only builds updates for releases shipped in
> binary form by the FreeBSD Release Engineering Team, e.g., FreeBSD
> 6.1-RELEASE and FreeBSD 6.2-RC1, but not FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE or FreeBSD
> 7.0-CURRENT."
> Is this saying that I can't get a binary upgrade for 6.4-STABLE?
> (You would not believe how long the make world process takes on a
> Pentium 200!!)

Not that it's going to help a tremendous amount but a

make -j 2 buildworld

may help a bit.   There's also some tips on the handbook page for
speeding up the process.  It would still be a long wait even if you used
every optimization technique available.

IIRC 2 jobs per core is the optimum level, and building system sources
is the only place I've had any with multiple jobs.  Multiple jobs w/
gmake under FBSD is basically worthless in my experience and even with
BSD make's -B flag results not good.

--
Adam Vandemore
Systems Administrator