Date:      Wed, 02 Oct 2002 11:22:15 -0700
From:      Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com>
To:        James Earl <james@icionline.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: advise on gateway-setup

> I'm in a similar position, but on a smaller scale.  I'm trying to figure
> out where these Switched Gateway/Routers/Firewall/VPN devices that are
> coming on the market fit in, and where it is better to use our favorite
> FreeBSD machine to do the work?  Would I be wrong in assuming these
> little hardware devices are faster at the job than a FreeBSD machine?

I can't comment on whether FreeBSD or the small devices are better at the
job.  I can comment on one of these small switch/router/firewall boxes.  I
have deployed several Cisco PIX 501s and have been very pleased with their
performance, their capabilities and their price.

I have about 6 of them deployed at home (residence) offices and they are
doing NAT, routing, firewalling, and 3DES VPN to the main office.  They
are very nice little machines.  Plus they are the cutest little Cisco
boxes you will ever see (about the size of a paper back book).

 - Mike Hogsett