Date:      Thu, 7 Nov 1996 15:58:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        A.C.Aitchison@pmms.cam.ac.uk (Dr Andrew C Aitchison)
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 3.2 Success story! (fwd)

In an earlier note in freebsd-chat, I blathered:
% configure on my S3/805 board.  Imagine my surprise when he returned
% with a Matrox card with a ViRGE+ chip on it!  ($153 for 2Mb/PCI, at
% Software & More in SLC).

Andrew Aitchison of XFree86.org replied:
> Are you sure it was a Matrox card and a ViRGE+ chip ?  I'm on the
> Matrox Xfree86 team, and I thought Matrox only used their own chip
> designs ?

Uh, no.  Sorry, must have had some synapses mis-firing.  It is a
Diamond Stealth 2000 3D card.  I am still very impressed with the
speed of this card, considering the price.  I'm going to buy one
with my next computer, in a few weeks.  Then I'll anxiously await
XFree86 support for accelerated PEX on it.  Maybe it's time to learn
more about the internals of PEX?