Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 14:15:26 -0400
From:      "Cambria, Mike" <mcambria@lucent.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   dial-in pppd & gettytab

Hi,

Now that the cable-modem is running, I want to set my serial line up for
dial-in pppd (kernel).  I'm already able to dial in for shell access.

Knowing I'd do this someday, I've saved away several dial-in pppd messages
on this list as well as searched the archive.  Numerous references are made
to pp= in gettytab.

The man page for gettytab (2.2.6-Release) states that 'pp' isn't used. The
Handbook also makes no reference to using pp for dial up pppd.  Should I
bother trying it?

I'm looking to have things work exactly as what I see from my ISP.
Specifically, after the modems connect, I want a "login:' prompt, followed
by 'Password:' then have pppd take over.

BTW, I need to user pppd for reasons I will not get into.

Thanks,
MikeC