Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2001 03:31:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Sidney@FreeBSD.ORG, Brooks@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Several questions

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Sidney Brooks wrote:

> I have played with linux fo several years, but just tried Free BSD.
>

> 4. Since I have a big disk, I tried to load everything, but
eventually the installation process froze. I then installed
average user with X. Have others had this problem?

What you want with a big disk is developer with X, which gives
you sources for everything in the base system.  You also want
ports and linux binary support.

What you don't want is Packages > All.  There are about 1800
third-party software packages on the installation CD-ROM (or
available from FTP) and you wouldn't want all of them, e.g.,
multiple versions of Netscape, software applications in several
foreign languages, etc.  I'm not sure how much space this would
take and what conflicts might result that you'd have to resolve
during the process.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC