Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 13:13:29 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD keyboard

    John> Depends on where you drive.  Shall I send out some photos of
    John> real road signs?  :-)

I guess the signs are fake where I am ... :-)  Obviously the work of
college pranksters: sneaking out in the middle of the night and
improving things.

    John> Around here there are a couple places that have uniform rows
    John> of 6-8 rectangular white signs with black two digit highway
    John> numbers and arrows.

Where the heck is this?  I see `indiana' in your email/web address ...

    John> Hmm... I wouldn't associate Tufte with such a wholesale
    John> disposal of a visual communication tool.  Then again, I've
    John> only read one of his books and it had almost nothing about
    John> computer interfaces.

I recommend _Envisioning Information_ by Tufte (Graphics Press 1990,
ISBN 0-9613921-1-8).  Loaded with good stuff, and does include some
stuff on user interfaces.  I reread it often for inspiration as much
as information.

Here's the relevant passage from _Envisioning_:

	Shown above are convential graphical interfaces, with scroll
	bars, multiple windows, and computer administrative debris.
	... Noise is costly, since computer displays are
	low-resolution devices, working at extremely thin data
	densities, 1/10 to 1/1000 of a map or book page.  This
	reflects the essential dilemma of a computer display: at every
	screen are two powerful information-processing capabilities,
	human and computer.  Yet all communication between the two
	must pass through the low-resolution, narrow-band video
	display terminal, which chokes off fast, precise, and complex
	communication.

I recently got to attend a special one-day course by Tufte where he
reiterated and expanded on his principles with regard to icons and
windows and what-not.  He didn't have very nice things to say about
the Web either.  ;-)

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov