Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 1996 11:31:44 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        timb49@Northwest.com (Tim Bach)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mounting 1.6 gig dos partition in FreeBSD

Tim, if at all possible, could you try to format your messages a little
more tidily?  It makes it easier for us to read and deal with...
Thanks, now on to your problem...

Tim Bach stands accused of saying:

> I can't seem to be able to get my 1.6 GIG dod partition to work
> right once mounted.  When i tried to copy a file it doesn't copy the
> whole thing.  I got some kind of warning when i first mounted it.

Ok, I'll assume this is a 1.6G DOS partition.  It would be very helpful to
know what the warning was, although I would suspect it'd be
"root direcory is not a multiple of the cluster size".
1.6G is a really silly size for a DOS partition, incidentally 8)

> Oh yeah it was formated with lba cmos value for 1.6 gig and it had 3
> meg's of bad partition's.  Is dos partition's over 540 meg's just
> not supported?

That's bad sectors, not partitions 8)  DOS partitions over 540 are fine,
with the caveat that the current MSDOSFS code is a little fragile when it
comes to oddly laid out partitions.

> My second question is if i can't get the whole 1.6
> gig partition how do i go about blocking out the 3 meg's so i can
> have like a 540 meg dos and whatever's left for FreeBSD.

If you want to put FreeBSD on the disk in a fashion that will deal with
the bad sectors, you'll have to do it in two partitions.
Put a DOS partition at the beginning of the disk, leave some space after
it before the 500M mark.

Then install FreeBSD.  In the slice editor during the installation, make
two FreeBSD slices.  The first should fit under the 500M mark, the second
can be as big as you like.  Perform the bad sector scan on both of them.
In the label editor, put at least the root filesystem in the first slice.

This puts the root filesystem and the bad144 sector replacement information
for it in reach of the BIOS used during booting.

> P.S almost forgot to mention that this is under FreeBSD 2.2 as of a
> few day's ago.With a Western digital 1.6 gig IDE drive.

Urr, you mean you're using the 2.2-SNAP?