Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 22:37:01 -0600
From:      Steve Kaczkowski <steve@inc.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Am I doing this right?

I'm trying to upgrade a 3.4 Release box to the latest Release tree, but
running into a few problems, I'm betting someone here can help me! :)

From what I've found searching the mailing list archives and web
pages,etc
this appears to be the way to do things:

I cvsup'd the the latest Release and all went well (no complaints),
here's
my supfile:

*default host=cvsup3.freebsd.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=.
*default delete use-rel-suffix
src-all
cvs-crypto

Nothing too strange there so I'm assuming that's ok.

I then remove the /usr/obj directory
do the 'make buildworld' which churns for a while (Only a P166)
All seems fine with the build, now here is where I run into some issues.
I've found some conflicting infomation as to what the next step is.

One source says that I should recompile my kernel, reboot into single
user and do a 'make installworld'. Makes sense but I can't recompile my
kernel, I get errors like:

config GENERIC
config: line 20: Unknown machine type
config: line 20: syntax error
config: line 21: syntax error
config: line 22: syntax error
Specify machine type, e.g. ``machine vax''

Etc,etc,etc,etc... It doesn't know ANY x86 CPU, funny enough it doesn't
complain if I stick in 'machine vax'.

Now if I do the 'make buildworld' then drop directly to single users and
attempt
the 'make installworld' it'll go for a bit and then finally error out
with:

install-info --quiet  --defsection="Programming & development tools."
--defentry="* libcom_err: (com_err).        A Common Error Description
Library for UNIX."  com_err.info /usr/share/info/dir
install-info: unrecognized option `--defsection=Programming &
development tools.'
        Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Not quite sure what to check, I've done this probably 10 times now and
it seems
to do the same thing each time...

Any hints?

Thanks in advance!

--
Steve Kaczkowski	Time Warner Telecom IDD
steve@inc.net          	(414)908-9012