Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 11:05:50 -0600
From:      "Jay L. West" <jlwest@tseinc.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   HELP! Install woes on ESDI drive.

I'm installing FreeBSD 2.2.5 Release. Made the boot floppy and
used it to install a machine from CD-ROM distribution. All went
fine, so I know the boot floppy is ok. Now, I'm trying to install via
ftp onto a different machine with the following configuration:

Dell 386/DX33. 8mb Ram. Two NE2000 compatible ethernet
cards. Adaptec 2322D ESDI disk/floppy controller. Maxtor
ESDI XT-4380E hard drive.

During initial installation, I get the message:
/mnt/dev/wd0s1f on /mnt/usr Invalid argument

and a bit later another message just like the above except about
a different filesystem (swap maybe?)...

I suspect the problem is with the hard drive/controller, so
here's more info on those:

Disk: 1224 cylinders, 15 heads, (35,36) RLL sectors/track

Supposedly with ESDI you set the CMOS bios to drive type 1
no matter what. The bios doesn't support user defined hard
drive types, just a stock list (all less than 1024 cylinders, hum..).

The controller bios (debug, g=c800:5) lets you set special options,
either 17spt, 63spt, or no translation at all. I've tried all of these
with exactly the same results. Just to check out the drive I installed
DOS 5.0 on it, and it formats fine.

I searched the mailinglist archives and couldn't find anything
specific about this. I'm at a dead end on this one with a deadline
to meet <grin>. Any ideas?

Jay West (jlwest@tseinc.com)
TSE