Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 00:17:54 -0600
From:      Dave Richards <dave@richcon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Restore: "Specify next volume"

Anyone seen this before?  Restore isn't restoring... instead it asks me
to "Specify next volume".  A search of the man page and mail archive
yielded no hints.

We have a FreeBSD 2.8 box with an adaptec 1542, Archive 4mm DAT (2GB
capacity), and a level 0 dump to tape (300MB total).  The drive is new
and I was testing.  Thus we have one tape (volume?).

(testing restore from tape)
----------

ns1:root:/tmp% restore if /dev/rst0
restore > cd /var/log
restore > add messages
restore > ls
./var/log:
 lastlog        maillog       *messages       sendmail.st    slip.log
 lpd-errs       maillog.0.gz   ppp.log        sendmail.st.0  wtmp

restore > extract
You have not read any tapes yet.
Unless you know which volume your file(s) are on you should start
with the last volume and work towards the first.
Specify next volume #: 1

--------
Trying any number including 0 fails and the file(s) are not restored to
disk. I'd rather not test a full restore from the command line, and
selective file restores would be a nice capability.  Should I use 'cpio'
(it works) in favor of 'dump'?

--

                                      ~~~
Sincerely,                            τΏτ