Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 23:27:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        don@whtech.com (Don O'Neil)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weird sendmail/pop problem

> Well, To correct my mis-statement, I do realize that SMTP is how the mail is
> delivered, I was intending to point out that I was using a "standard" POP3
> type client for recieving, not something like IMAP.... Anyway... I've
> checked the SMTP (sendmail) logs and the delivery is only made to one of the
> two recipents, no matter what order the names are in the .forward file, my
> name is allways skipped.... Now, my name is of course the one sending the
> message... is there something in sendmail that knows I was the originator
> and doesn't bother to send the message back to me? Now if I send a message
> using mail or elm, or pine, or sendmail directly from the box (not using the
> PC client) then both recipients get the message (I did this a root).

Sendmail does not know you are the originator.

The questions that would have been answered for me by the information
I requested are:

1)	What are the "MAIL FROM:" and "RCPT TO:" linces actually
	being sent to sendmail?

2)	Are any of the addresses aliases for each other?  If so,
	sendmail will realize this, and send only a single copy
	of the message to any one local maildrop.

3)	Are you attempting to use "popclient" or "fetchmail" in
	"multidrop mode"?

	A)	Fetchmail is broken, in that it searches for
		"any header" instead of "best header".

	B)	You should use "X-Envelope-To".  If you are
		using "qmail", you should use "Delivered-To"
		and "-qvirtual" to remove the domain prefix
		that qmail stupidly prepends to the "Delivered-To"
		name.

	C)	If you can not use (A) or (B), then you should
		remove the "m" flag in the mailer doing delivery.
		This will result in a "Recieved ... by ... for ..."
		line, where "by ..." is by your MX, and "for ..."
		is for the addressee

4)	If you are using the same mail client to donload from
	one or mor addresses, make sure you have not told it to
	get rid of mail you have "already seen".  This is done
	by "Message-ID" in many instances, and will result in
	your mail client "hiding" the "duplicate" message.

Of course, there is a hell of a lot more detail than this, and a
hell of a lot more branch paths possible, depending on the other
questions I didn't tell you that the data would answer, and varying
by the mail clients, etc., that you are using.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.