Date:      Tue, 03 Dec 1996 14:21:30 -0500
From:      James da Silva <jds@TracerTech.COM>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CDI Streams?

 > The VideoCD format is propieratory. Philips claims that by putting ISO
 > 9660 structure to the CDROM and then encoding the actual stream in their
 > format that they have an open standard 8)

I dunno - can we get a definitive statement about this from someone in the
know?

I do know in my experience that at least one particular CDI movie (Live and
Let Die) contained one big file that was an MPEG system-layer stream, which
I was able to process using the usual mpeg tools under unix.  It made for a
good test file for playing with MPEG.

What I did was mount the CD under W95 and copy the file over to a unix disk
(that happened to be the most convenient setup for me), so the CD fs might
not have been straight iso9660, but the data file was definitely straight
MPEG system-layer.

It also played very well using ATI's full screen software MPEG player for
W95 - a bit jerky on a P120, but the sound was great, and the effect on a
20' monitor was good as long as you didn't sit too close.  Popcorn anyone?

Jaime
: jds@tracertech.com /   Tracer Technologies, Inc.   \ Stand on my shoulders, :
:   James da Silva  / Mass Storage Software Solutions \    not on my toes.    :