Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 1998 02:38:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        weeteck@eecs.umich.edu (Wee Teck Ng)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fastintr interrupt handler

> i've a question concerning the two different types of interrupt
> handler: fastintr and slowintr. i've looked at the code in vector.s,
> and somewhat understands what both do. i've also gathered from sio.c
> that comm port 1 & 2 uses fastintr. my question is:
>
> - is it safe to use fastintr for keyboard?

For input, probably; for LED changes... ugh.  It would mean you'd need
status so that the fastintr/slow stuff didn't interfere with each other.

I think, though, that Bruce would hate using it for keyboards.  It's
really for stuff with small buffers that has to run to completion in
the interrupt routine (and that's a watered down version of a very
long explanation that Bruce posted a while back).  The one thing I
can think of that I might throw in there would be a floppy tape
driver, and that would be hideous.  8-|.

You can also ask Bruce directly (hopefully on the list so I can save
what he says about it).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---