Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:39:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        FreeBSD current users <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   config files and includes.

I have just gone through the process of upgrading or installing several
hundred machines, and Thst includes altering or editing many config
files in /etc. I like the way that rc.conf
is handled, in that defaults/rc.comf can be updated and only the
local changes live in r.conf. I wish that more files had this
capability.
For example syslogd.conf or newsyslog.conf are updated between releases
but they are also prime candidates for local additions.
What would be really cool is if more config files could
do 'includes' so that you could have a syslogd.local.conf
wher eall your local entries could be. In addition you could make it
look in /usr/local/etc/syslogd.conf for loging requirments for
packages.

To do this for every config file would be a lot of work. I do wonder
however whether there couldn't be some "config-file reader" library
routine that could be used to pre-pass files and do inclusions..

if the interface was very similar to what is usually used
(people tend to either use open/read/close or
fopen/fscanf (etc).

equivalent calls could be made that use a stream of data that is
pre-processed to do inclusions etc. That would making retrofitting
relatively easy.  Programs that use yacc/lex ar emore difficult,
but I haven't looked into it..

anyhow, that was just a thought.