Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:26:41 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fcash-ml@sd73.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another whirl with FreeBSD

On Thursday 12 October 2006 09:53 am, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org> wrote:
>  > I have just one remaining question, does what you said
>  > apply to the new Intel Core 2 Duo chips as well?
>
> It should apply to every machine that's supported by
> FreeBSD/amd64, i.e. any processor that supports AMD64
> or EM64T (as intel calls it).

Looks like Intel has renamed their version of the i386 64-bit extensions
once again.  First there was IA-32e (since they couldn't use IA-64 as
that was the Itanium instruction set), then EM64T, now it's just Intel64.
Guess they are trying to claim ownership of the amd64 architecture.  :)

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.heise.de%2Fnewsticker%2Fmeldung%2F78786&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8
http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2006Sep/bch20060929038986.htm

Maybe we should all just switch to using x86-64?  :)

They really like to muddy the naming waters:  Pentium-M renamed Core at
the same time they announce the Core Architecture, but the Pentium-M is
not based on Core.  First CPU based on Core is called Core2.  Ah, what
fun!

--
Freddie Cash, LPIC-2 CCNT CCLP      Network Support Technician
School District 73                  (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]