Date:      Fri, 25 Dec 1998 17:40:11 +0900
From:      Hidetoshi Shimokawa <simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        sprice@hiwaay.net
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, asami@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha ports collection?

sprice> # I have not checked the reason of failure for all, but
sprice> # common reasons are:
sprice> #
sprice> # - dependency on i386 binary (qt etc.)
sprice> # - time_t conflicts (long vs int)
sprice> # - require machine/soundcard.h (most of auido ports)
sprice> #
sprice> # - tcl cannot be compiled without fpsetmask (many depedent ports)
sprice> # (I implemeted it, but to make it work correctly, we need to set compile option)
sprice>
sprice> Wow, this is good stuff.  Are you using the traditional
sprice> build technique or some variant of Satoshi's parallel
sprice> build scripts?

I did it in very silly way,  make package in each ports/*/* directory.
I've read his paper and I'd like to try it once his scripts are placed
somewhere.

sprice> BTW, have any of your fixes been incorporated?  I've missed
sprice> them if they have.

I haven't made any fix on ports tree yet. I wanted to know
how many ports can be build at this point and what will be problem on alpha.
I checked only for build, I don't know whether the packages work
correctly.

sprice> Since, Satoshi was cc'd on this maybe we should start to think
sprice> about a BROKEN_ALPHA a 'la BROKEN_ELF?

We may have alpha specific ports. (e.g. fast math library written in assembler)
BRONKEN_I386 or ONLY_FOR_ALPHA should be necessary.

sprice> # I think I can help to work on ports for alpha, My machine is EB166 (666MHz)

Oops, EB164.

sprice> Got a spare one of these? :)  Seriously is this a machine
sprice> that you could (mostly) dedicate to building Alpha packages?

Sorry no spare, but I suppose I can mostly dedicate to it for a while.

sprice> What kind of connectivity to *.freebsd.org do you have?  If
sprice> it is pretty good maybe we could set something up to ship the
sprice> packages over to one of Satoshi's build machines.  The ultimate

Not so bad.
simokawa@ett[9]:~/tmp> ping freebsd.org
PING freebsd.org (204.216.27.18): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 204.216.27.18: icmp_seq=0 ttl=242 time=131.462 ms
64 bytes from 204.216.27.18: icmp_seq=1 ttl=242 time=135.267 ms

sprice> packages over to one of Satoshi's build machines.  The ultimate
sprice> would be to have an Alpha machine among Satoshi's arsenal
sprice> that could build a new package tree every couple of days,
sprice> but beggars can't be choosers as the old saying goes. :)
sprice>
sprice> Satoshi,
sprice>
sprice> Could we start a fledgling package tree for Alpha with the
sprice> ones Shimokawa-san already has?

Actually, I have no modified port tree now. Once a policy (BROKEN_*
, "ifdef __alpha__" or "ifdef __alpha") is settled, I'll start to fix
ports for alpha.

Shall I send "weekly (or daily) report on broken ports on alpha"?

/\ Hidetoshi Shimokawa
\/  simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
PGP public key: finger -l simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp