Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2017 09:03:58 +1100 (EST)
From:      Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Ports on 10.3 upgrade (was Re: portsnap temporary files)

On Sat, 7 Jan 2017, RW via freebsd-ports wrote:

> If you mean files under /var/db/portsnap/files/ then these are not
> temporary files, they are the compressed snapshot, and you should not
> delete them without very good reason. They are supposed to persist and
> may remain unmodified for many months.

Yeah, so I quickly learned...  Won't do it again :-)

BTW, upgrading to 10.3 was seamless; it was so easy that I could've sworn
something was wrong, in fact :-)  Kudos to the 10.3 team.

Wish I could say the same thing about ports, though; the guide blithely
states "rebuild all third-party applications (e.g. ports installed from
the ports tree)" without giving any hints, thus my system is now 10.3
kernel + userland, with mostly 9.3 applications such as Alpine.

Speaking of Alpine, it now wants OpenSSL >= 1.0.1c; I have 1.0.2j
installed, yet it still whinges.  I've emailed the maintainer, but I had
to use my Gmail account (since Alpine was now broken).  I've since
restored the required 9.3 libraries to get the thing to work.

Now to see why my nameserver is partly broken...