Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 2014 15:51:57 -0400
From:      Elliot Robinson <elliot.robinson@argiopetech.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: root-on-ZFS - gptzfsboot fails to find pool

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 2014-08-20 13:29, Elliot Robinson wrote:
> > G'day all,
> > A fresh root-on-ZFS install using bsdinstall's ZFS option on FreeBSD 10
> > fails to boot on my Dell Studio XPS 1640. Output at boot is
> >
> > gptzfsboot: error 1 lba 48
> > gptzfsboot: error 1 lba 1
> > gptzfsboot: No ZFS pools located, can't boot
> >
> > Things I've tried:
> >   * ZFS with GPT - Fails with error above
> >   * ZFS with MBR - Fails with no output (doesn't find 2nd stage?)
> >   * UFS with GPT - Works
> >   * Different HDD/SDD - No change, fails with error above
> >   * USB thumb drive on VirtualBox with ZFS/GPT - Works
> >
> > This system has not had FreeBSD on it before, though the guided
> > partitioning UFS/GPT install seems to work as expected.
> >
> > I'm about at the point where I have to sprinkle printf's all through
> > zfsboot.c and trace what's going on, so any help is appreciated.
> >
> > ---
> > Elliot Robinson
> > PGP Key: 9FEDE59A
> >

> Boot off of the install cd again, and drop to a shell
>
> zpool import
>
> what does it say?
>
> --
> Allan Jude

Apparently Linux doesn't like talking to UFS. Tried to pipe to a file on
the USB drive and read from Linux, but I got inode errors... Then I tried
to abuse dd to write to an empty sector from the shell and it complained
about /dev/da0 being an invalid device. Just can't win...

Find the output transcribed from a screenshot below.

   pool: zroot
     id: 4288135752309264711
  state: ONLINE
 action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier

        zroot                                         ONLINE
          gptid/6b458a8a-27dd-11e4-9075-002219ec1b41  ONLINE

---
Elliot Robinson
PGP Key: 9FEDE59A