Date:      Sat, 25 May 1996 22:42:12 +0900
From:      Masafumi NAKANE/=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQ2Y6LDJtSjgbKEI=?= <max@sfc.wide.ad.jp>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        max@sfc.wide.ad.jp
Subject:   [please help] connecting serial terminal

Hi,

     I'm helping a friend of mine setting up his FreeBSD 2.1.0R box.
Now, he wants to use FreeBSD from PC running vt100 emulator connected
to the FreeBSD box via serial port.  I suggested to modify /etc/ttys
to include line as follows:

ttyd0	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	vt100	on	secure

and do ``kill -1 1''.

     I thought above action will enable him to login from the serial
terminal.  (Actually, it's working OK with my machines.)  However, no
login prompt is sent after taking the action above.

     So, we made sure that reverse serial cable is used, and the
serial ports of the both PC's are working properly by connecting the
two computers using terminal software on DOS.

     Next, I checked if getty is running, waiting for incoming
connection.  Although the serial terminal is connected, `ps ax' showed
that getty hasn't been able to open the terminal.

     Now, only thing I can think of is that IO address and IRQ
configured into the kernel differ from actual ones.  By using `MSD',
we found out that IRQ's are OK.  But, `msd' says IO addresses being
used by com1 and com2 is 0xf000:0xef6f which differs from what is
configured.  (GENERIC came with 2.1.0R is used.)  However, kernel is
recognizing sio0 and sio1 at boot time.

     I really have no idea what to do.  Should I configure the kernel
with different IO addresses for the sio[01]?  Any suggestion is
appreciated.

/ In complete darkness, we are all the same.      |         Masafumi NAKANE   \
* It is our wisdom and knowledge that separate us.+ Keio Univ., Dept. of      *
| Don't let your eyes deceive you.                | Environmental Information |
\-- (from Rhythm Nation 1814, Janet Jackson) -----+- t94303mn@sfc.keio.ac.jp -/
< http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~t94303mn                     max@sfc.wide.ad.jp  >

address