Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 1998 19:29:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Tom Walcott <friar@cloister.beloit.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Install difficulty.

Hello.  I'm sorry to burden you folks, since I'm sure you get more than
enough messages of this kind, but I've been playing with this for a few
days and don't seem to be getting anywhere.  I got a Pentium II from Micron
the other day, and want to install FreeBSD on it.  I've done this
installation before, on a 486, so I know I'm not making any glaringly
obvious errors, but...

The boot disk loads up fine, and then tries to boot up the kernel prior to
permitting installation.  I can do some device configuration, which in my
case mostly amounts to removing conflicts, since I don't know much about the
line-by-line device editor.  The problem is that as soon as I quit the
configuration menu to let it continue the boot process, FreeBSD first probes
the PCI bus, and after outputting vital statistics about the drives, it
reaches the ethernet card -- in this case, a 3COM 3C905 -- and then hangs,
leaving the disk light on.  The only way to reset the computer appears to be
a hard boot.

I don't know if I've got a hardware incompatability, if I'm doing something
exceptionally strange, or what precisely is going on.  I was hoping that
one of you folks might have some clue, and be willing to share.

I appreciate your time and assistance.

Tom Walcott
friar@cloister.beloit.edu
--
The good opinions expressed are my own.
The bad opinions expressed were inserted by my enemies.  Flame them.