Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 14:23:36 PDT
From:      "Shameek Basu" <shameek_basu@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XDM and FreeBSD 4.0

Hi
   I am trying to get XDM to work with FreeBSD 4.0. I have the same old
problem : login loops back into login screen. I examined the
~/.xsessions-errors file and there are some authorization failures there and
could not connect X:0 errors. startx works fine with me, and I am sure that
all the scripts have their paths set correctly.

I have a 0 byte ~/.Xauthority file. This I believe has something to do with
the authoirization failures....

There have been two postings before on this as I have pasted below:

>I had the .xsession file working in X under FreeBSD version 3.4.
>It seems there was a change in X under FreeBSD version 4.0, it was
>necessary change one line on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config
>file:
>
>From:
>DisplayManager._0.authorize:    false

>To:
>DisplayManager._0.authorize:    false

As you can see this person has mistakenly forgotten to give the change..both
statements are identical.

Another posting said to add the line
          DisplayManager._0.authName= MIT_MAGIC_COOKIE_1
in the xdm-config file

Does anyone know if this works? Any similar experiences with authorization
failures?

Thanks
Shameek