Date:      Wed, 04 Dec 2002 17:52:02 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Alex.Wilkinson@dsto.defence.gov.au
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, alex <lex@adelaide.on.net>, alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UDMA ICRC error reading fsbn 78165297

"Wilkinson,Alex" wrote:
> Why do people always refer to Alpha pws 500au's as "miata" ?
>
>         >Why?  Well, alphas are electrinically noisy, and physically cramped.
>         >The 500au in particular was designed by some sort of sadist who wanted
>         >things to look pretty and didn't give a damn how things worked on the
>         >inside.  If I had a $1.00 for every drop of blood I ever lost by
>         >skinning my knuckles inserting or removing drives or pci cards from
>         >miatas, I'd be rich.

It was the project name before it was released.  It had to be
renamed on release because Mazda would have sued them.

I've never been able to find out whether it was named after
someone having owned a Mazda Miata, or if it was named that way
because it was so cramped inside, like a Mazda Miata.

-- Terry