Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 14:42:09 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@i-clue.de>
To:        Justin Stanford <jus@security.za.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading HDD space on existing installation.. ideas?

Justin Stanford wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My current workstation is running FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE, and resides on a
>10.2gb HDD.
>
>It looks like this:
>
>/dev/ad0s2a    48M    35M   9.2M    79%    /
>/dev/ad0s2f   6.8G   5.8G   537M    92%    /usr
>/dev/ad0s2e    19M    15M   2.5M    86%    /var
>
>ad0s1 is the first partition on the drive, which contains Win98se.

Heh. I know a partition which holds lot of room for /usr/local. Just
kidding.

>Now, as you can see, /usr is running out of space quite fast.. during
>today's general worktime I hit -68.5M and realised that I am in need of an
>HDD upgrade for some more space.
>
>Now, the problem presents itself in that, I have been using this
>workstation since 4.0-RELEASE (and have been tracking 4.x-STABLE via
>cvsup), and it is nothing trivial for me to just reinstall a fresh FreeBSD
>and start over -- my machine has years of configuration, software
>installation, etc, behind it, so I need to find some way to move to a new,
>bigger HDD, while still exactly preserving my system.. not just /usr,
>everything, like /etc, /var/, and so on.
>
>Various suggestions have been made, but I'm not sure what the best route
>is to follow.. any suggestions, anyone?

Find another place (preferably in form of another HD). label and newfs
it, use sysinstall if in double about the parameters.

Use du to identify a suitable mount point:

# du -k /usr | sort -rn | less

Right at the top of those listings a directory should spring into view
as candidate for relocation. Mount the new filesystem temporarily, then
copy over the contents of your candidate directory.

# mount /dev/newdisk /mnt
# cd /usr
# tar cf - <candidate> | (cd /mnt; tar xpf -)

Verify the extract has completed successfully (no errors showing up is a
good sign). Shutdown to single user, remove the candidate directory,
mount the new filesystem in its place:

# shutdown now
# rm -rf /usr/candidate
# mount /dev/newdisk /usr/candidate

Don't forget to adjust your /etc/fstab. Finally, ^D and everything
should work as before... with room to spare.

HTH
-Christoph Sold

>Many thanks in advance,
>Justin
>
>PS: Kindly CC me any answers as I am not subscribed to the questions
>list. If this question is not suitable for this list, kindly forward it to
>the appropriate one.

Dutifully done.