Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 20:44:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        stuart@internationalschool.co.uk, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> What's "Word format"?

Greg?  Serious?

"Word" format is probably the most common format (and word
processor) in use in the target market.

I used to keep WordPerfect around for guests so they could
print their documents, and I still have it.  But now I keep
Microsoft Word around.  (Whatever IBM markets with Lotus 123
and Notes is probably also fairly common.)

Rich Text Format is, I think, the ultimate solution--both
MS Word and WordPerfect handle an rtf document produced
from sgml well.

The problem with sgml is that conversion to rtf is available
only for sgml documents in docbook, not in the linuxdoc style.
At least this was the case a few months ago.  I think the
FAQ and handbook will be available in docbook/sgml before very
long, though.

Both Word and WordPerfect can also handle the "ascii" version
of documents that arrive with ctrl-H codes in them, although
making this conversion is something most users of these programs
probably don't know how to do (nor do they know they can do it).
But it's not really very difficult.

In testing whether the other text editors and word processing
programs that come with MS Windows of one variety or another
(dos edit, notepad, wordpad, write) can handle the FAQ and
the handbook, the size of the document has to be kept in mind--
I think the handbook is too big for these programs.

Annelise