Date:      Fri, 01 Dec 2000 21:32:54 +0000
From:      Peter Gradwell <peter@gradwell.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        hirez@bratcave.org, cliff@onsea.com
Subject:   Mylex DAC960 Driver "online/offline"

Hi,

I have a Mylex acceleraid 250 card in a FreeBSD 4.1 machine and
when it boots it tells me that:

======
DAC960 BIOS Version 4.10-41 (Feb 02, 1999)
Mylex Corporation

DAC960PTL1 Firmware Version 4.07-0-29
DAC960 PCI Address: F4102000 Bus=0 Dev/Slot=13 Function=1 IRQ=11
DAC960 Memory = 8 MB (EDO/ECC)
WARNING: 1 system drive offline
WARNING: Dead SCSI device (Channel:Target) :
0:3
Press <ALT-M> for BIOS options
<DAC960 8 GB Disk BIOS is enabled>
Press <ALT-R> for RAID Configuration options
2 system drives installed
Press any key to continue
======

- the off line disk is in a RAID 1 disk array is a RAID 1 disk array. The
kernel
then boots from this RAID 1 disk array.

However, when FSCKing the / partition, (/dev/mlxd0s1a) it fails,
because it thinks that mlxd0 is off line. I then get a fairly continuous
stream of messages to the console saying:

======
mlxd0: drive online
mlxd0: drive offline
======

I have contacted Mylex Tech Support and they say that this is a message
given out by the kernel, and more properly, the FreeBSD driver in the kernel.

However, they have no clue as to what or why that message is occurring,
and more importantly, why it is occurring so much.

Does anyone know why the kernel driver is reporting this. It doesn't seem
sensible that the controller should be marking a drive off line and then online
again, in a loop, ad infinitum. Mylex Tech Support agree.

What does this message really mean?

Many thanks

peter

--