Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:40:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tenebrae <tenebrae_BSD@niceboots.com>
To:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Maxtor Firewire Drives

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Wes Peters wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 14:22, Tenebrae wrote:
> > > I'm looking at using aforementioned hardware to back up my server.
> > > There aren't any more available IDE channels or even places inside the
> > > case to put another drive, so external is what I'm looking at.
> > > My favourite vendor also has an external PARALLEL drive enclosure.
> > > With the potential data corruption mentioned with Firewire, would I be
> > > better off with getting the parallel enclosure?
> > > I have too much data to back up to tape.
>
> Really?  Even to those multi-drive parallel AIT network backup devices?
> Or must too much data to backup to tape on your budget?

Too much to back up for my budget (budget?  what's that?).
I have about 70GB of stuff to back up and I don't want to spend over
$500US.

> I've had good luck with VXA-1 tape drives in the past and Ecrix now has the
> VXA-2 drive with 80GB uncompressed capacity at roughly 20GB/hour
> throughput.  The VXA-2 drive uses Ultra-2 SCSI interface, so finding a
> controller that is well supported on FreeBSD won't be a problem.

*looks at the price, chokes, coughs*
WAY too much for my budget!

> Please post information on your known good source.  A known good provider of
> PCI firewire cards might be helpful for those whose motherboard features
> faulty or NO support for firewire, if anyone can recommend one or more of
> those...

I second that.
My motherboard is an old ASUS P5A (socket 7) - no built-in Firewire
support.
Thank you for the information.  I'll avoid the parallel external drive
solution.
								-Tenebrae.
---
The sending of any unsolicited email advertising messages to this domain
may result in the imposition of civil liability against you in accordance
with Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code Section 17538.45.