Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2005 14:09:18 -0600
From:      Joshua Lokken <joshua.lokken@gmail.com>
To:        b0ntrict0r@yandex.ru
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Troubles with your OS on my hardware

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:20:44 +0300 (MSK), Arseny Solokha
<b0ntrict0r@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello! I'm ArsenyI bought FreeBSD 5.2.1 on 2 CD from your distributor - www.linuxcenter.ru. And I have troubles with this system.
> 1. I have videocard Sapphire RADEON 9200 SE and I cannot start X-server with my videocard. X-server returns a messages such as 'Cannot connect with device', 'Missing device' or 'Missing driver'.
> 2. I have optical mouse A4Tech WOP-35 and X-server don't work with this mouse. But it's work with classical mechanic mouse. Laser mouses also doesn't support, does it?
> 3. When I install this OS can I install on this HDD other OSes (e.g. Windows)?
> 4. I have try to install this OS on virtual machine managed by VMware Workstation 4.0.2 build 5592 under WinXP. Firstly, when I checked packs for installation, installer tryed to copy 'expat'. It copyed 1024 KB @ 1kbps and installer was down. I reply this operation few times then loader return me a message like this: 'Primary master failed'. Of course, OS doesn't loading now.
>
> I bought my money for this CDs because I need to work and
>develop programs in this OS but I cannot do it! I need a workable
>system there and now, ON MY HARDWARE!!! Please solve this
>problem!

5.2.1-RELEASE has met with the end of its life:

"The branches supported by the FreeBSD Security Officer have been
updated to reflect recent EoL (end-of-life) events.  The new list is
below and at <URL: http://www.freebsd.org/security/ >.  FreeBSD 5.2.1
has `expired' and is no longer supported effective January 1, 2005.
Also note that FreeBSD 4.9 ceased to be supported on November 1, 2004,
while FreeBSD 4.8 will continue to be supported until March 31, 2005."

As another poster recommended, you should check for any conflicts
regarding VMWare.  Also, you may want to try installing the OS on its
own partition on the hard disk, rather than complicating your situation
with VMWare.

You are not likely to get help by demanding that someone fix your
problem.  This is 'our' OS (including you); we all do our part, and the
software comes with absolutely no guarantees.  If you did some
Googling, you would find that many, many people have had problems
similar to yours.  The answers to your questions are out there, but
you may need to do some homework.

--
Joshua Lokken
Open Source Advocate