Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 1996 01:50:32 -0800
From:      "Ulf Zimmermann" <ulf@z-code.ncd.com>
To:        "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>, gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Aaptec 3985 controller

On Jan 19,  5:54, Andrew V. Stesin wrote:
> Subject: Re: Aaptec 3985 controller
> Hello,
>
> # >I just got the bad news from Adaptec that the documents for the AIC-7810
chip,
> # >which makes the raid things like XOR, will not public available till the
end o
> # >f
> # >the year. :(
> #
> # That sucks, although it doesn't surprise me.  I got the impression the
> # 7810 documents wouldn't be availible for a while when I asked for
> # them the last time.
>
> 	I occasionally have read the manuals of this new adaptec toy,
> 	and got a strong impression that it becomes RAID with the
> 	presence of software drivers (analog of 'ccd'?) only.
> 	Am I missing something?

No, you are wrong. The 3985 has a PCI-PCI bridge on board. On the internal PCI
bus are 4 chips: 3 x AIC-7870 (SCSI controller, like on 2940) and the AIC-7810
which is a chip build on the same platform like the whole AIC-7xxx serie. This
chip performs via hardware the XOR of the data, which goes into a 1/4 MB big
buffer on the PCI bus. From this buffer the 3 7870 reads the data and writes it
to the harddisk. But recovering are done via Sequencer/OS-driver. Aka rebuild
of the harddisk.

Ulf.

[Rest deleted]

--
Ulf Zimmermann, NCD Software, 101 Rowland Way, Suite 300, Novato, CA 94945
phone: 415-899-7941, email: ulf@z-code.ncd.com, phone-home: 510-865-0204