Date:      29 Jan 1998 23:08:16 -0500
From:      Don Croyle <croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   keeping DNS lookups local

I'm working on a second FreeBSD box to my home network (currently this
machine and a Win95 game box) and I've run into a problem.  Things
like ftp, rlogin and ssh are insisting that the ppp link to my ISP be
up in order to get started.  Once the local connection is working they
don't need the link to the outside world any more.  Filtering DNS
lookups to keep them from causing ppp to dial out just causes the
problem programs to hang.

I've got hosts ahead of bind in /etc/hosts.conf on both machines, the
appropriate entries in /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf on this machine
(the gateway, and the only one running named) has nameserver 127.0.0.1
listed ahead of my ISPs nameservers.

Any suggestions?
--
I've always wanted to be a dilettante,  | Usenet II -- because
but I've never quite been ready to make | it's time for October