Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2002 19:29:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: how to find executable files

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 07:13:51PM -0400, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> > Two questions, first is why doesn't this work, or is there a flag I can use
> > with "ls?"
> > # find . -type f -perm +x
> > find: -perm: x: illegal mode string
> > # find . -type f -perm +x -print
> > find: -perm: x: illegal mode string
> For -perm you first use + or - and then the mode.
> The mode is specified as for chmod, i.e. things like 'u+x' for user
> executable, 'g-w' for non-groupwritavle or '+x' for executable by
> somebody. (Numeric modes also work.)

Erg, I knew that!  :-/  It's just that I view the whole "u+x" scheme as
"the easy way" and that real Unix junkies roll up their sleeves and use
numeric perm's such as 0777 and 644 :-)

> So in your case you would get:
> find . -type f -perm '++x'
> (The single quotes around ++x seem to be necessary for me.  Probably my
> shell trying to interpret ++ in some way...)

Noted.  Thanks for the tip!

> > Question II: Is find always recursive (through subdirectories) or can this
> > be limited to x levels down?  Thanks.
> find . -maxdepth 4
> (Or some other number instead of 4. This, along with everything else, is
> fairly clearly documented in the manpage for find(1).)

The manpage (surprise!) is severely lacking and I overlooked it:

  -maxdepth n
  True if the depth of the current file into the tree is less than or equal to n.
  -mindepth n
  True if the depth of the current file into the tree is greater than or equal to n.

That is, it wouldn't kill the author to mention some keyword or buzzword
such as "recurse" or "subdirectories..."  Am I alone on this?

> <Insert your favourite quote here.>

"Age is a feeling, not a number!"

--
Peter Leftwich