Date:      Wed, 8 May 2002 00:53:33 +0900
From:      "Tim Kellers" <timothyk@wallnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   wireless (in)security

I wonder if someone might point me at a source to try and solve a wireless
security issue.

Wireless router with a Network Name of 09d44b
Wireless encryption key set to: 9d44b

Wireless interface (wi0) ssid (network name) 09d44b
Wireless encryption key (nwkey) set to 9d44b

When the wireless laptop boots, it sends the nwkey in clear text, then goes to
64 bit (or so) encryption.  Then transmissions are as theoretically secure as
a 5 character key can make them.  But, before encryption takes over, the nwkey
key is transmitted in clear text and this is Not a Good Thing.

Are there any utilites, workarounds or magic available for FreeBSD (4.6
Prerelease at present) that would allow a tunnel to be established before the
nwkey is sent...  I've had a lot of ideas about how I might do this, but they
all rely on the wireless router being a lot smarter than it is.

Pointers, links or just plain ideas appreciated.

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT