Date:      Tue, 8 Feb 2005 00:37:40 -0800
From:      gabriel <normal1.lists@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Changing mysql root password

Hello gang,

Okay so I've read the mysql docs and also googled my little heart out;
have also tried various solutions none of which worked. I've done a
fresh install of mysql3*-server from ports. The db dir is
/usr/local/mysql and I've been starting the deamon utilizing the
following line:
safe_mysqld --user=mysql --skip-grant-tables --err-log=/usr/local/mysql/erro.log

Okay, with that said, here's the output when trying to change root's
password (even mysql password);

gmpnoc# mysqladmin -h localhost -u root password password
mysqladmin: unable to change password; error: 'You must have
privileges to update tables in the mysql database to be able to change
passwords for others'
gmpnoc#

I've also tried it without -h, tried it with -h pointing to the actual
name of the machine. Nuffin!

Please someone enlighten me!

Cheers!

--